The Adventure Begins
Flying can be such a painful process at times - waiting in line to check in, to go through security, having to take your shoes off and hope that your feet aren't too smelly, being stuck in a middle seat beside big people who alwasy seem to take control of the arm rests before you get there, bad airplane food....
I am very pleased to report that the beginning of my down under adventure was relatively pain-free. I had printed my boarding pass at home (it's really a beautiful thing that everyone must do!) and so I breezed through the baggage check in, went right through security (I was wearing rubber soles so was saved from any smelly embarassment) and had time to pick out a couple of Toronto gifts for my hostess in Australia - a stuffed black bear (just like at the cottage dump) and a baby toronto maple leafs hat for her first grandchild (go leafs go!!).
Once I got on the plane for my flight to Vancouver, I realized I was in an exit row - oh happy day! The woman beside me was from Sydney, had lived 13 years in Vancouver and had been visiting friends in Ontario so we had plenty to talk about. Even the in-flight entertainment was good - they showed not just 1, but 2 movies. The first was about motorcycle racing (a sport I have come to really enjoy) and the second was about food (a subject I have always really enjoyed). How happy was I! The only not-so-fabulous part of the flight was that it seems they no longer offer a meal on this five hour flight (what is up with that). I had to buy a crappy packaged sandwich with green peppers on it - why why why! I also managed to spill my ice tea all over my lap, but I guess I can't blame that on Air Canada.
It was raining when I arrived - no surprise, it is Vancouver after all. I made it to Paula's place only a little damp, but was happy to see her. She lives in a great condo in a building that used to be a Sinagogue - if I was a rich girl...

Since it was so cold and damp, we decided on comfort food for dinner, so Paula took me to this cozy little place that has nothing but soups, stews and other homey foods like mac and cheese and fondue - what a great idea! Once completely stuffed - we went to see The Whale and the Squid - good movie, but it was all about a family with two kids, going through divorce... think it would be more interesting for people who haven't had that experience - having gone through it as a kid myself, I don't find that I am very interested in watching movies about it.
Yesterday was sunny so we went for a walk along the water. Here are some photos of me and Paula along the beach.



During our walk, we ran across a herd of bunnies - be vewy vewy qwiet...

Since we had both been awake since 6am thanks to a break-in in the building garage (he got her backpack) we were very tired and decided to eat in and have an early night. We pigged out on pasta (carbonara-yes again) and homemade apple pudding and tasty french wine. We both agreed it's a good thing we don't live in the same city or we would both be 200lbs.
So today I make the long long long journey to Sydney via Honolulu (it's a Wiki Wiki world).
Hopefully this flight will be as pleasant as my last, I wont be stuck in a middle seat, there will be movies I haven't seen and I will actually get a meal! I have my passport and my ePM's so I'm ready to go.
I'll check in again from across the world!!
I am very pleased to report that the beginning of my down under adventure was relatively pain-free. I had printed my boarding pass at home (it's really a beautiful thing that everyone must do!) and so I breezed through the baggage check in, went right through security (I was wearing rubber soles so was saved from any smelly embarassment) and had time to pick out a couple of Toronto gifts for my hostess in Australia - a stuffed black bear (just like at the cottage dump) and a baby toronto maple leafs hat for her first grandchild (go leafs go!!).
Once I got on the plane for my flight to Vancouver, I realized I was in an exit row - oh happy day! The woman beside me was from Sydney, had lived 13 years in Vancouver and had been visiting friends in Ontario so we had plenty to talk about. Even the in-flight entertainment was good - they showed not just 1, but 2 movies. The first was about motorcycle racing (a sport I have come to really enjoy) and the second was about food (a subject I have always really enjoyed). How happy was I! The only not-so-fabulous part of the flight was that it seems they no longer offer a meal on this five hour flight (what is up with that). I had to buy a crappy packaged sandwich with green peppers on it - why why why! I also managed to spill my ice tea all over my lap, but I guess I can't blame that on Air Canada.
It was raining when I arrived - no surprise, it is Vancouver after all. I made it to Paula's place only a little damp, but was happy to see her. She lives in a great condo in a building that used to be a Sinagogue - if I was a rich girl...

Since it was so cold and damp, we decided on comfort food for dinner, so Paula took me to this cozy little place that has nothing but soups, stews and other homey foods like mac and cheese and fondue - what a great idea! Once completely stuffed - we went to see The Whale and the Squid - good movie, but it was all about a family with two kids, going through divorce... think it would be more interesting for people who haven't had that experience - having gone through it as a kid myself, I don't find that I am very interested in watching movies about it.
Yesterday was sunny so we went for a walk along the water. Here are some photos of me and Paula along the beach.



During our walk, we ran across a herd of bunnies - be vewy vewy qwiet...

Since we had both been awake since 6am thanks to a break-in in the building garage (he got her backpack) we were very tired and decided to eat in and have an early night. We pigged out on pasta (carbonara-yes again) and homemade apple pudding and tasty french wine. We both agreed it's a good thing we don't live in the same city or we would both be 200lbs.
So today I make the long long long journey to Sydney via Honolulu (it's a Wiki Wiki world).
Hopefully this flight will be as pleasant as my last, I wont be stuck in a middle seat, there will be movies I haven't seen and I will actually get a meal! I have my passport and my ePM's so I'm ready to go.
I'll check in again from across the world!!
2 Comments:
Herd of bunnies?
Do bunnies actually herd?
Do you think it would be like herding cats?
Nice shirt.
trisha,
i just had an afterschool snack of apple pudding and ice cream...exactly the right thing an hour before yoga.
as much fun as we had this weekend, i really, really, really hope you make it on your flight tonight...who are all these bottom dwellers trying to go to hawaii...don't they know about your great adventure?
a bientot, but like christmas not tonight!
paula
Post a Comment
<< Home