Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Harbour City

I have left Sydney and finally have some time to relax and update you on my visit to the other harbour city (San Francisco being the first one).

I arrived in Sydney on Wed. at 7:30am (I'm still having trouble figuring out what day it is - losing a day is just weird). Fortunately I didn't get stopped at customs - even though the cute little basset hound stuck his nose right in my carry-on bag - no he wasn't looking for drugs, but food - 'no food, just a cereal bar' - I neglected to mention the four jars of freenut butter and bag of chocolates in my suitcase. Almost busted for freenut butter!

I was tired, but felt ok considering, as usual, I wasn't able to sleep much on the plane. When I finally found Jenny, with her friend Liz (they had been at the wrong exit door), she informed me that we were going straight from the airport to the county to see the Bong Bong races - so much for easing into this adventure.

We headed for Liz's county house, which was about an hour south of Sydney and close to the race (I still wasn't clear on what the Bong Bong race was, but didn't have the energy to ask). On the way to Liz's I had two Aussie experiences - rare even for Australians. At a market near Liz's we saw a white man with a big white beard and a hat covered with feathers - apparently he was a descendant on his mother's side to the abroiginal dream time (beginnings of the aboriginal people). Then on the road we saw a wombat! Unfortunately it was dead, although Jenny still wanted to stop and get a picture of me with the road kill (she was still a bit upset about not getting a photo of the feather man), but luckily there was no place to pull over. So I had seen a white aborigines and a dead wombat in my first hour in this country - this was going to be a long month.

Liz's country house was just like a county inn with brass beads, quilts and an incredible garden - fruit trees, olive trees, herbs, vegetables, california poppies (was I really in Australia) and tons of blooming roses.

After a shower and a tasty breakfast, I was feeling refreshed, ready for a casual day at the racetrack. I didn't realize that it wasn't so casual. The Bong Bong is a big social event - everyone gets dressed up (including fancy hats) and hangs out at the track drinking and eating and occasionally watching the races. Liz had to loan me some beads and a hat so that I could fit in with the bongers.

We didn't actually make it to the track until later in the afternoon (small problem with the car which miraculously fixed itself once the auto rescue guy showed up). It was just as well, because it was a very hot day and I think I might have passed out if I'd been out there in the sun all day.

We arrived at the races in time to bet on the last three races including the actual Bong Bong race - Luckily my mom had given me some Austalian money so I had a little to bet with - the first bookie just laughed at my money (seems they don't have $2 bills in Australia anymore either), but the second bookie was fine with taking my old money. None of my horses won or even placed! Guess that's what happens when you bet on names - (I was sure Bear Claw was a good one). No matter, it was still a great time just walking around, drinking champagne and talking to lots of people.

This was one of my winning picks

Bonger babes

After the races we stopped for dinner, or was it lunch, what time is it? - great japanese food - a nip of sake to give me my second or third wind. We then drove back to Liz's house in Sydney where we were going to be staying.

Liz and her husband Tom live in Paddington - one of the oldest areas in Sydney, great old 'workman's cottages' that have all been renovated. She sells antique jewellry (fabulous stuff, but again in the totally-out-of-my-budget price range). Tom is Chinese and a Lawyer and they have four kids in their twenties. They also have a big yellow meat dog.

Hey Buster - what's up dude, like my rug.

I have a great room with a nice big bed - is it time for bed yet? No it's time for dinner, but didn't we just have dinner? - little shot of Bourbon - sure I'm ready to go out, no problem. We ate at a cute French place with Lorraine and Helen - talked about the thwarted terrorist plots against Sydney and Melbourne. No they don't like Bush here either.
I finally went to bed, or should I say collapsed at midnight.

My second day in Sydney we drove to Bondi Beach to have a dip and see the 'sculpture by the sea' exhibit. The sculptures were along a scenic rocky cliff - pretty walk except for all the flies! They seemed to like perching on our hats. They like white - I was once again a bug target - at least they weren't mosquitos!. Here is Bondi beach in the background and my fly hat.



Here are a couple of the art pieces we could relate to.

We ended up at another beach 'Tamarama' also known as 'Glamorama' for all the hot bodies that go there. It was very hot so we decided it was time for a dip - no hot bodies in sight though, guess it was a week day. I waded into the clear blue water and suddenly realized why there were no other bodies - it was freezing!! not just cold, but Lake-Catchacoma-in-October-cold!! Well at least I was wide awake now.

On the way back we stopped by Jenny's first house - where she was living when she met the man in Africa with the nice legs.


After a quick shower (no time for a nap - damn) we did a little shopping, lots of cute things but a little in the way-out-of-my-budget price range. Jenny did take me to a great, inexpensive shoe store where I managed to find some really cute and comfy shoes. After my short shopping attention span had expired, we took the ferry to Balmain to stop for a quick drink with friends.

The ferry ride was really beautiful. Sydney reminds me of San Francisco, but wituout the fog. Here is a shot of the famous Sydney bridge and opera house.

Qunado Bello

Suzie and Bill (Tracey stayed with them when she was there on her honeymoon - they said to say hello Tracey) lived right on the water so you could see downtown Sydney from their veranda. They had good bourbon and tasty hors d'ouevres when we arrived - I liked these people. They convinced us to stay for dinner - lamb on the barbie and good wine - twist my rubber arm. Suzie and Jenny were old friends so they were busy gossiping, but it was ok, Bill owns a travel and event company - he did all the events for all the top sponsors at the Sydney olympics (interestingly he turned down the request to do events for Samsung) - so we had plenty to talk about.
Jenny and Suzie with the their view which is too dark to see.
I made another new friend at Bill and Suzie's - Nero seemed to enjoy licking my arms - maybe Canadians taste different.

Friday was my last day in Sydney so we took the bus into downtown (mush nicer than SF buses - even Dad could handle it) and walked around the waterfront area, 'The Rocks' - looked at some art and old buildings. Then we took the ferry over to Manly, out towards the Indian Ocean. Manly has another beautiful beach, but I wasn't going anywhere near the water this time - fool me once... Instead we went to the pub and had mojitos looking over the water.


We were both pretty beat by the time we got back so we opted to stay in the area for dinner. We went to a local pub and had some cocktails and checked out the scenery - very much like being in a London pub - lots of drunk people drinking beer and talking funny.

Saturday morning we had a big breakfast with Liz and Tom and then they took us to the airport. Liz gave me a beautiful pair of earings from her collection to thank me for helping fix her computer (I might be on to something here).
Jenny and Liz at the house, me in the front yard wearing my new cute shoes.

Jenny and I were on separate flights - she was on points and I was on the cheapo Virgin Blue - which is just like Southwest - the crew makes jokes and there's no food. I was ok with buying food, but it was a 5hour flight and the seats didn't go back and there was no movie!! There was some rough air on the landing and someone a couple rows behind me was throwing up - I was very happy to arrive in Perth!
Sydney from the air - bye bye.

So yesterday I arrived in Perth - very different from Sydney, flat and dry and much more laid back. Jenny's place is really cozy, great view of the ocean, lots of character. I was very excited about having a bit of a rest, but not just yet - this morning Jenny had a women's rowing event so we left at 6am, which was fine since I was still on Sydney time anyway, or Vancouver time, or some other time. While she rowed with the girls, the mens rowing coach agreed to take me out in the fishing boat while he coached the mens group. I got a tour of the river, lots of boats, giant pelicans and lots of very nice houses along the shores.

Now it is time for rest - ahhh. It's Sunday and we are going to head south on Tuesday to the wine country. I think somewhere I may have been signed up for a rowing lesson on Tuesday morning, but I'm not sure and I believe there is a big dinner party happening here tomorrow night, but it's all a little vague. Tomorrow will be a relaxing day- I think.

ta for now.
Jenny has just proof read this and agrees with most!!!! I think she forgot to mention that she would have done really well at the pub with the fellas , but she took me along. I was deffinently doing little plops ( aussie for nods off) on my side and it wasnt the drinks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home