Monday, November 21, 2005

Life's a Beach

I am really enjoying life here in Cottesloe (south west of Peth) - everyone is very laid back and super fit! The women especially look so much younger then their age. Everyone goes to the beach for an early swim almost every morning - except for the mornings that they row or run or do some other physical activity. Even people in their 70's and 80's are out there swimming and running. I haven't seen any really overweight people in Cottesloe, I don't think they are allowed - or if they are, they are quickly transformed.

I have managed to drag myself out of bed early the last couple days to swim (you have to go early before the afternoon sea breeze, 'the doctor' comes in) - despite the TWO sharks that were spotted near the beach on the weekend. I'm really living on the edge now. Since someone was actually killed by a shark on this beach five years ago (Jenny and many of her friends were in the water at the time), I tend to stay close to shore.

The people here are all extremely friendly - everyone stops to say 'how ya goin'. I have met so many poeple that I'm still trying to figure out who everyone is - Jenny seems to know everyone which is probably no surprise to anyone who knows Jenny.

My new favorite spot here is the Blue Duck - little restaurant right on the water that has Mount Gay Rum! Watching the sunset over the ocean drinking MG - life doesn't get much better.

Like in Canada, you can't buy liquor or beer in the grocery store here - but they have somethng even better - a drive through liquor store!!
Right beside the Retro there is a 'bottle shop' where you buy liquor, wine and beer, and you just drive up to the door and a guy comes out to take your order and then brings it out and puts it in your car for you - what a great idea! I love this place!

Footloose and Fancy Freo:
South of Cottesloe is the town of Fremantle, or Freo, as the locals call it. It is an old port town on the ocean at the mouth of the Swan River. I would give you more of the history of the town, but frankly, I haven't bothered to read the guide book blurb - have to save something for the plane ride back to Sydney.

I do know that it is a quaint little town with victorian architecture. It also has some great shopping - great clothes by local designers. Since I am an unemployed bum these days, I could only just look in the windows and imagine how cute I might look in the sassy summer dresses. On the weekends there are lots of markets open so I am planning go back this weekend to see if I can find some good prezzies for christmas.













Freo architecture



The Roundhouse - built by British prisoners - is the oldest building in Fremantle

I guess prisoners don't make very good sailors
Australian wildlife
The Leeuwin
I was attacked by seagulls while taking this photo-putting my life at risk to provide material for your blogging pleasure.

This week in Fremantle there is also an Italian film festival going on. We went to see Manuale de L'amore - Manual of Love - GREAT movie - if you see it playing anywhere or see it in the video store, you should definitely see it. Very funny film about four different couples in various stages of a relationship. Worth checking out.

Tomorrow is snorkeling on Rottnest Island. Too bad I don't have an underwater camera.

ta for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you have survived the sharks, close dancers, exercise, seagulls, and unemployment. Can't believe you found and sent the picture of Bilbo's round door!
Enjoy the snorkeling. I'm going to get the Manual.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home