Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Nelson

The Bridge:
The Hetzel Home (the Bridge), is on top of a hill just a short walk from downtown Nelson. They also have two rental units with the same incredible view. The Bridge

Ralph and Sally Hetzel (Tegan's parents) are from California, as I mentioned Ralph is the seagull guy - his seagulls are great (on top of the sign above), would love to bring a couple home, but think they would be tough to pack. Sally is a psychologist who directs a team at the department of Education here. They stopped in NZ while sailing the Pacific 30 years ago, and never left. They are both still very active sailing, surfing, biking and all kinds of other stuff that I get tired just thinking about. In 2007 they are plannig a trip to take a boat up the canal system starting in Florida, going up the east coast through Lake Ontario and the Trent Canal system and ending up right by our cottage - it's an unbelievably small world! I told them they will have to stop by the Ricci compound for a cocktail or two.

Nelson is a pretty city just on the north west side of the south island of New Zealand. It's very british, kind of reminds me of Victoria BC with a polynesian feel. Like in Australia where everything either has a British name or an Aboriginal name, here all the streets are either British or Mauri, The Queen's Gardens are beside the Maitai River.

City of Nelson

Maitai River
Chillin in Nelson

They seem to have a thing about mailboxes here


Freerider:
Wednesday night is the weekly sailing race in Nelson - so last night I was invited aboard the Freerider for the race. There were 30 sailboats out on the water, it was amazing! The crew was an interesting mix of people - Ralph, the captain and then Hugh, the kiwi potter, John the english psychologist, Joleen the young irish girl sailing her way around the world, Kathleen the american woman from Connecticut who's partner sails another boat in the race, Darryl, the big Mauri man that is a boat captain from Nelson who has now become an Aussie (and is also staying with the Hetzels) and me - the Canadian human passport.

The race was very exciting - lots of action on the boat, everyone moving quickly, pulling ropes, raising spinickers, lowering gibs, tacking, coming about and all sorts of other sailing related tasks. Since I know very little about sailing, I wasn't much help - I did the countdown to the start (I do know how to count at least) and managed to move my butt from one side of the boat to the other each time it was time to come about - no easy task since it was very windy. No photos since I needed both hands just to hang on and keep from falling ovrboard. We did pretty well, crew working like a well oiled machine, me moving my butt seamlessly back and forth (I also wore my SFMC shirt for luck in Tegan and Chuck's honour) - we came 7th which I thought was pretty darn good.
The Freerider and the Freeloader

After the race we shared some good wine on the boat and then headed up to the sailing club for a bite and the awards presentation. Ralph asked if it was like the SFMC - it actually was, bunch of guys of varied ages standing around drinking at the club, having a good time talking about their boats and sailing stories.

Today Ralph suggested I check out WOW so I walked along the water down to the World of Wearable Art and Collectible Cars Museum.
The wearable arts awards are held every year in Nelson. Artists create art pieces made of various materials that are wearable in various categories including Illumination (under black lights), reflective, avant guard and my favorite, bizarre bras. They had many pieces on display and a video room to watch the shows - it really was wow and worth the trip. One of my favs was the 'copper feel' bra - copper hands holding the boobs, although the bra with the cow faces was pretty good too. The Award show itself is pretty impressive, wouldn't mind doing that event.

The collectible cars part was pretty good too - lots of old classic cars, morotcycles and scooters going back to the early 1900's. There was a BSA bike from 1967, an Olive and Handlers bike from 1913 and a whole series of Italian cars and bikes, many of which I had never heard of.

Tonight I am off to see 'The Fastest Indian' - about Munroe, guy who made the Indian motorcycle - was highly recommended by the Hetzels - will give you the review in my next post. Tomorrow I am on a bus to Christchurch - seven hours south - talk about sore bum.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ring lae trisha she is happy to have you back in sydney, what a wow!!!! of a time you had Nelson sounds wonderful
love jenny

1:31 PM  
Blogger trisharicci said...

hey t,

don't forget to come back. I'll be in Toronto (yawn, snow, yes...) from the 15th.

Paula

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Toronto.
Just to make you feel better!Perth has had storms and a meteorite crash somwhere. YOU CERTAINLY GOT THE BEST OF WEATHER.
Cyril is off to the vet tomorrow for fungus feet! Jenny has come down with the flu .
Happy pants is not happy as I seem to be not enthuised about being a girlfriend.
Brian Retro man has put up posh blinds in Cyrils room. Cyril may lose his room and stay in a cage for awhile.I mean you cant have fungus on the new blinds and paint.
I might turn it into a guest room for other visitors. The computer is playing up, the mobile phone is also,
WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home