Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Row Row Row Your Boat

This morning I had my first full in-the-boat-in-the-water rowing lesson on the Swan River. My instructor, medal-winning Jen and I went out in a two-seater boat (don't think that's the correct name for it, but I was too busy trying not to tip the boat over to worry about such details).

It took a while to get the hang of it - so many things to think about - hands soft, don't bend wrists, turn paddles, arms forward, lean over, bend kneels, paddle in water, push with legs (don't scoot your bum), pull arms in to chest, lean back, paddle out... and this is all at 7am in boat not much wider than my bum (no comments please) that could tip with any little imbalance and flies buzzing in my mouth! Very stressful. My instructor was quite patient, even when I splashed her with my paddle (it really wasn't intentional - well, mostly).

Once in the groove, I could see how it could be a very enjoyable sport - out on the river, calm water, warm sun - as we were rowing, we saw a dolphin swim by and an Ibis bird and her baby.


























The other rowers said that I was a natural, so now that I am a star rower, I am thinking that I should start training for the next masters olympics. I'm a little concerned however about rowing in the San Francisco bay since it's rare to see the sun over the water anytime before noon and we all know how wussy I am when it comes to being cold. So maybe it will have to be team Lumbermen at the Catchacoma olympics.

On another note - I just wanted to thank eveyrone for their comments and participation in this blog experiment. For those of you who chose to remain annonymous, I understand completely, however, I am curious to know who is sexy snow bear?

And yet on still another note -
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!!! I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trisha:
It is very cold, windy, snow is flying out of the heavens and it is about -6.(Enjoy the heat sister)
I am glad you are having a wonderful time. I can't believe you have never heard the sexy snow bear story! Sorry to disappoint you, but it's me.
Ciao, Stevareno A.K.A.- S.S.B.
P.S. Take a picture of the water going down the drain. Keep the adventure real.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only can she salsa but seems to be a natural rower, Do I have stories about Dr Michael the salsa partner. Naaaaa! Ill let her tell you. Hope you get here soon tracey
Guess what Dino Ive learnt to be lead!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your stories, stay longer and keep writing. Much better than West with the Night. Why don't you write the stories that you have censored, Dr. Michael?, we will not tell anyone. Please teach Jenny to follow. Love GOD

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home