Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Stand-by Stressout

Flying on my mom's passes is great, wouldn't be going to Australia otherwise, the only catch is that I go stand-by which can be an extremely stressful experience.

I had checked the flights a week ago, lots of seats, only a few other people standing by, no problem. This morning I checked again - 6 empty seats, 26 people standing by, 12 of which were ahead of in the pecking order. What happened! Why were all these people going to Hawaii - didn't they know I had an adventure in progress - I needed to get to Sydney!! But I got a grip and made my way to the aiport - you never know, I'm just a one, not a two or three so maybe there was still hope.

When I arrived at the airport, the guy checking my bag told me that there was no chance, suddenly 20 people were ahead of me in the stand-by lineup - uggghhhh!!! But Paula's wasn't home yet, so I might as well make my way to the gate just in case.

After a brief chat with George, the old security agent-who seemed to think I was wasting my life because I wasn't married-I made my way to the gate. The woman at the gate said it didn't look good - all this pessimism was beginning to get me down. Even the double chocolate donut didn't make me feel better - my adventure seemed to be coming to a stand-still or stand-by at least. Then I hear the agent over the intercom - will it be my name - sounds like Rishi - people seem to have trouble with the pronunciation of my last name, suddenly I had hope - I marched up to the counter, only to have my hope crushed - Nishi, not Ricci - crap. My nerves counldn't take it, I was drained, I had given up the dream, when suddenly I heard the intercom say Ricci (pronounced correctly even) - could it be true! yes, it was me they called, middle seat - sure I'll take it, who needs an arm rest anyway. But I still wasn't convivnced, I was sure someone was going to come and take away my boarding pass at any moment - I clutched it feverishly. Only when they closed the door of the plane and began taxiing did I relax and breathe a sigh of relief.

Now I sit in Honolulu waiting for my next flight, stress free, aisle seat, ya man.
aloha!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank goodness, I think this trip is as much stress on me as it is on you... I woke up this a.m. happy there was no message, that was the signal you got on. I guess by now you're "downunder" and ready to begin your Aussie Adventure.
Have fun,
Love MOM

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trisha:
Glad to hear you are safely on your way down under.
Talk about stress, I got my hair cut last night and my Italian barber had been dipping into the sauce….I’m not talking Bolognese. He was drunk, very rushed and emotional. I don’t think I have ever been so terrified in my life! He reminded me of Raff on speed. I thought I was going to loose an ear or an eye. Best hair cut I’ve had in years.
Well, have a great adventure and through another shrimp on Barbie mate.
Ciao,

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again, I guess it’s too early, I just read what I wrote. “Throw another shrimp on the barbie or just make carbonara. lol

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your stories, stay longer and keep writing. Much better than West with the Night. love GOD

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home