The Blog Returns
Back by popular demand...Trisha's Adventures returns!
ok, maybe it wasn't popular demand, maybe it was just John Voight sending one email, but how can I refuse the trailer park family.
It’s been a busy time since I last checked in. I wont go all the way back since that would just be way too much information, I'll just give you the recent update.
At the end of March, e2k was doing an important event in New York and wanted me to be there - so I needed a visa - it was time to brave the scary monster that is 'Homeland Security'.
So off I went to the airport in Toronto, ready with my application packet and some words of wisdom from my lawyer. After being sent to the secret room behind the big automatic doors that close behind you, locking you into that land of limbo, I sat and waited.
After about half an hour of waiting and trying not to look nervous, the officer called me over and suggested that he didn't think that the position I was applying for was really a 'consulting' position - seemed more like a management position to him and so he didn't think I was eligable for the visa. I tried to plead my case, with little affect until finally he told me to sit down while he talked it over with his colleague. Ok, now I was really sweating.
Finally, his colleague came over and said that they were going to let me in, but he didn't seem very happy about it - he said I must have a good lawyer, becuase the only reason they were letting me in was because the cover letter outlined the position as Supernumerary. While I had no idea what that word even meant, I was in! I was stamped, signed sealed and delivered to the US for one whole year.
I called my lawyer and thanked him for his effective choice of words and recently looked up the meaning of the word:
Supernumerary is a member of the staff or an employee who works in a public office but is not part of the manpower complement: a temporary employee in addition to the permanent staff.
I was in New York for just over a week working on the Clinton Global Initiative which is a very exciting program started by Bill Clinton. It was a great event and I was fortunate enough to meet 'the president' - I was incredibly nervous and excited and managed to embarass myself by mumbling something about my name. I did get a great photo which many of you have already seen, but I am adding it here again just cuz it's the ultimate brush with shmarminess.
for more info on CGI - http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/
After New York, it was back to Troonto just in time for my going away party – thank you again Sandra for being quite the hostess with the mostess and to Peeter too, even if he really didn’t want all those west enders in his garage during the basketball game.

Thank you as well to everyone who came to the party, especially those previously mentioned west enders who have never been west of the Don Valley before. Good times were had by all, or at least by those who remember.
The three amigos
John showing his breast (I think he really needs to get out more)

The late shift - going home at dawn in the garce mobile
The day after the party I headed to Rome (thanks to Uncle Chelly for hooking me up with a place to stay) for one last escape before getting back to the real world of all work and no travel.
I did lots of walking – mainly looking for good places to eat and drink, although I did manage to see some of the sites in my travels. I took a few pictures of some wonderful old buildings and then realized that there was great old stuff everywhere! So stopped taking photos – you'll just have to go and see it yourself.
Inside the Colliseum
Fountain of Trevi - I wasn't planning on going to Trevi, just got lost one day and just happened to find it. I love getting lost.

This is where Caesar was killed. 
Vatican - they were setting up for the easter mass. I wonder how you get the gig doing events for the Pope?
I wouldn't want to have to set up all those chairs!

- Cool Jazz Bar
I had the same bar issue here that I had in Australia – (were any of you paying attention back then) – they don’t really do bar stools, and if they do, they are mostly décorative so it was again difficult to cozy on up to the bar for an evening cocktail. So instead I sat in wonderul little cafes and drank wine - not a bad alternative.
I did find a great little wine bar that did in fact have usable bar stools right by the Spanish Steps. I also found a jazz club by Piazza Navona, and yes, I did go salsa dancing which was an interesting cultural experience.
I know that things happen late in Rome and Salsa starts late everyewhere, so I planned on having a late dinner in the area near the club before dancing. The club was near a castle with lots of old ruins nearby, but when I got there, the whole area was completely deserted. It was dark and spooky and I was beginning to wonder what I was getting myself into.
I did find a little restaurant so decided to stick it out and see what would happen.
The restaurant had melt-in-your-mouth prosciutto and yummy pizza, things were starting to look up. Then I started chatting with a man at the next table who was an editor for the local news – very interesting guy, unfortunately my italina wasn’t quite up to par for the disuccsion of American and Italian politics, but I managed.
At 10:15 I finally headed over to the club, and it wasn’t even open yet! So I went around the corner and found another little bar - now there were lots people out, not spooky at all. This bar also had bar stools so I was very excited.
When I went back at 11pm, the salsa place was open, but empty - ok, I had come this far, but I was fading fast. By midnight there were people and the DJ was playing great music, but no dancing - so I asked the DJ why nobody was dancing. He looked at me and said, 'it’s too early you crazy tourist' (ok, he didn’t actually say crazy tourist, but I could tell that’s what he was thinking.) Eventually people did start to dance and there was a great cuban band. When I finally went to leave, there was a whole line of horse and carriages waiting outside to take people to clubs in the area - now that's the way to club hop.

Cool old Roman house - now that's retro
By Friday I had been walking for days and my legs and feet were getting quite worn out, and I kept thinking, I wish I knew someone with a bike or scooter to drive me around. Well that night as I was wondering around the Spanish Steps looking for another bar, a nice young man offered to help, he wasn’t actually able to help me, but he did offer to buy me a glass of wine at the wine bar that I liked (with the bar stools). He than asked if I wanted to check out a couple other bars, but would I mind going on a scooter (turns out he owned a scooter shop) - wow, I wonder what else I should wish for. So we toured the old city and stopped at a couple cool little bars and then went to a bar at the highest point in Rome – it was beautiful to see the city all lit up with the Vatican and the other old churches – really amazing.
On my last day in Italy, I went to Arezzo to visit the family I had stayed with 18 years ago when I studied there during University. Everything was the same! The house, the family, it was just like it was 18 years ago - it was so great to see them again. They live up in the hills and it was spring so everything was blooming - it was so preatty and peaceful, just like I remember, listening to the birds outside my window. The dog and the cat were there too - different dog and cat of course, but the same idea.
It was a great day, we had a yummy lunch with lots of fresh vegatables and just relaxed and then
they showed me some sample running shoes from their son's new business - hand made italian sneakers, they were so great - I ordered a pair and can't wait to wear my serafini sneakers, I will be so cool. Their website is still being developed, but if you want some cool sneakers, check it out - http://serafinisport.com/
Sadly I couldn't stay long because I had to get back to Rome – time to pack up and ship out.

Arrivederci Roma (sigh)
The next few days in Troonto were busy packing and moving and packing and moving etc. etc. Thanks to Jeff and Tracey for helping to shlep my stuff to the farm – and thanks to Auntie Vilma for letting me store my stuff at her farm, althouth she may not even know she has done me this favor since she was away at the time – so AV if you didn’t know until now – thanks, and feel free to borrow Moby Dick.
Me and Sydney
It was so great to spend more time with my family this year - I will miss you all tons and can't wait for you to come visit me.
Then it was off to San Francisco - back to work and life by the Bay.
It has been a busy couple of weeks, working and trying to get settled. I am subletting an apartment with my friend Nia. It's a great place, but needs lots of work. I absolutely love the new neighborhood though. There are lots of restaurants and cafes nearby including an Italian place two doors down that has Amarone by the glass! There is a cheese shop (with Reggiano), great hardware store and a liquor store with Mount Gay. I can also walk to the water - what more could you want! It also has a guest room so feel free to come visit anytime.
So that's it for now - I will try and update the adventures at least weekly so check back in whenever you want to see what I'm up to or if you are just really bored.
Ciao,
Trisha
My new home (we are on the ground floor)
ok, maybe it wasn't popular demand, maybe it was just John Voight sending one email, but how can I refuse the trailer park family.
It’s been a busy time since I last checked in. I wont go all the way back since that would just be way too much information, I'll just give you the recent update.
At the end of March, e2k was doing an important event in New York and wanted me to be there - so I needed a visa - it was time to brave the scary monster that is 'Homeland Security'.
So off I went to the airport in Toronto, ready with my application packet and some words of wisdom from my lawyer. After being sent to the secret room behind the big automatic doors that close behind you, locking you into that land of limbo, I sat and waited.
After about half an hour of waiting and trying not to look nervous, the officer called me over and suggested that he didn't think that the position I was applying for was really a 'consulting' position - seemed more like a management position to him and so he didn't think I was eligable for the visa. I tried to plead my case, with little affect until finally he told me to sit down while he talked it over with his colleague. Ok, now I was really sweating.
Finally, his colleague came over and said that they were going to let me in, but he didn't seem very happy about it - he said I must have a good lawyer, becuase the only reason they were letting me in was because the cover letter outlined the position as Supernumerary. While I had no idea what that word even meant, I was in! I was stamped, signed sealed and delivered to the US for one whole year.
I called my lawyer and thanked him for his effective choice of words and recently looked up the meaning of the word:
Supernumerary is a member of the staff or an employee who works in a public office but is not part of the manpower complement: a temporary employee in addition to the permanent staff.
I was in New York for just over a week working on the Clinton Global Initiative which is a very exciting program started by Bill Clinton. It was a great event and I was fortunate enough to meet 'the president' - I was incredibly nervous and excited and managed to embarass myself by mumbling something about my name. I did get a great photo which many of you have already seen, but I am adding it here again just cuz it's the ultimate brush with shmarminess.
for more info on CGI - http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/After New York, it was back to Troonto just in time for my going away party – thank you again Sandra for being quite the hostess with the mostess and to Peeter too, even if he really didn’t want all those west enders in his garage during the basketball game.

Thank you as well to everyone who came to the party, especially those previously mentioned west enders who have never been west of the Don Valley before. Good times were had by all, or at least by those who remember.
The three amigos
John showing his breast (I think he really needs to get out more)
The late shift - going home at dawn in the garce mobile
The day after the party I headed to Rome (thanks to Uncle Chelly for hooking me up with a place to stay) for one last escape before getting back to the real world of all work and no travel.
I did lots of walking – mainly looking for good places to eat and drink, although I did manage to see some of the sites in my travels. I took a few pictures of some wonderful old buildings and then realized that there was great old stuff everywhere! So stopped taking photos – you'll just have to go and see it yourself.
Inside the Colliseum
Fountain of Trevi - I wasn't planning on going to Trevi, just got lost one day and just happened to find it. I love getting lost.

This is where Caesar was killed. 
Vatican - they were setting up for the easter mass. I wonder how you get the gig doing events for the Pope?
I wouldn't want to have to set up all those chairs!

- Cool Jazz Bar
I had the same bar issue here that I had in Australia – (were any of you paying attention back then) – they don’t really do bar stools, and if they do, they are mostly décorative so it was again difficult to cozy on up to the bar for an evening cocktail. So instead I sat in wonderul little cafes and drank wine - not a bad alternative.
I did find a great little wine bar that did in fact have usable bar stools right by the Spanish Steps. I also found a jazz club by Piazza Navona, and yes, I did go salsa dancing which was an interesting cultural experience.
I know that things happen late in Rome and Salsa starts late everyewhere, so I planned on having a late dinner in the area near the club before dancing. The club was near a castle with lots of old ruins nearby, but when I got there, the whole area was completely deserted. It was dark and spooky and I was beginning to wonder what I was getting myself into.
I did find a little restaurant so decided to stick it out and see what would happen.
The restaurant had melt-in-your-mouth prosciutto and yummy pizza, things were starting to look up. Then I started chatting with a man at the next table who was an editor for the local news – very interesting guy, unfortunately my italina wasn’t quite up to par for the disuccsion of American and Italian politics, but I managed.
At 10:15 I finally headed over to the club, and it wasn’t even open yet! So I went around the corner and found another little bar - now there were lots people out, not spooky at all. This bar also had bar stools so I was very excited.
When I went back at 11pm, the salsa place was open, but empty - ok, I had come this far, but I was fading fast. By midnight there were people and the DJ was playing great music, but no dancing - so I asked the DJ why nobody was dancing. He looked at me and said, 'it’s too early you crazy tourist' (ok, he didn’t actually say crazy tourist, but I could tell that’s what he was thinking.) Eventually people did start to dance and there was a great cuban band. When I finally went to leave, there was a whole line of horse and carriages waiting outside to take people to clubs in the area - now that's the way to club hop.

Cool old Roman house - now that's retro
By Friday I had been walking for days and my legs and feet were getting quite worn out, and I kept thinking, I wish I knew someone with a bike or scooter to drive me around. Well that night as I was wondering around the Spanish Steps looking for another bar, a nice young man offered to help, he wasn’t actually able to help me, but he did offer to buy me a glass of wine at the wine bar that I liked (with the bar stools). He than asked if I wanted to check out a couple other bars, but would I mind going on a scooter (turns out he owned a scooter shop) - wow, I wonder what else I should wish for. So we toured the old city and stopped at a couple cool little bars and then went to a bar at the highest point in Rome – it was beautiful to see the city all lit up with the Vatican and the other old churches – really amazing.
On my last day in Italy, I went to Arezzo to visit the family I had stayed with 18 years ago when I studied there during University. Everything was the same! The house, the family, it was just like it was 18 years ago - it was so great to see them again. They live up in the hills and it was spring so everything was blooming - it was so preatty and peaceful, just like I remember, listening to the birds outside my window. The dog and the cat were there too - different dog and cat of course, but the same idea.It was a great day, we had a yummy lunch with lots of fresh vegatables and just relaxed and then
they showed me some sample running shoes from their son's new business - hand made italian sneakers, they were so great - I ordered a pair and can't wait to wear my serafini sneakers, I will be so cool. Their website is still being developed, but if you want some cool sneakers, check it out - http://serafinisport.com/Sadly I couldn't stay long because I had to get back to Rome – time to pack up and ship out.

Arrivederci Roma (sigh)
The next few days in Troonto were busy packing and moving and packing and moving etc. etc. Thanks to Jeff and Tracey for helping to shlep my stuff to the farm – and thanks to Auntie Vilma for letting me store my stuff at her farm, althouth she may not even know she has done me this favor since she was away at the time – so AV if you didn’t know until now – thanks, and feel free to borrow Moby Dick.
Me and SydneyIt was so great to spend more time with my family this year - I will miss you all tons and can't wait for you to come visit me.
Then it was off to San Francisco - back to work and life by the Bay.
It has been a busy couple of weeks, working and trying to get settled. I am subletting an apartment with my friend Nia. It's a great place, but needs lots of work. I absolutely love the new neighborhood though. There are lots of restaurants and cafes nearby including an Italian place two doors down that has Amarone by the glass! There is a cheese shop (with Reggiano), great hardware store and a liquor store with Mount Gay. I can also walk to the water - what more could you want! It also has a guest room so feel free to come visit anytime.
So that's it for now - I will try and update the adventures at least weekly so check back in whenever you want to see what I'm up to or if you are just really bored.
Ciao,
Trisha
My new home (we are on the ground floor)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home