It has been six years since my last blog 'adventure' - hard to believe. Despite the advent of facebook since my last post (facebook was actually launched in 2004 but who actually used it back then) - I feel that this medium suits me better. It allows me to ramble on as much as I would like and add photos as they relate to my ramblings. It also gives you the choice to read the aforesaid ramblings, just look at pictures or, completely ignore this blog altogether. After all, aside from my team commonwealth friend David Gill, and possibly my mother, I imagine most people don't really have the time or interest to read about what I might have had for lunch or my thoughts on geography in the US education system.
So feel free to tune in or tune out. The writing is a bit rusty so bare with me, I will try to keep it at least more interesting than a Hoover vacuum manual, but I can't promise anything.
Birthday Relocation
 |
| Mom's cookie art |
I officially left San Francisco on July 11 (my birthday) after a whirlwind couple of weeks of working and packing and organizing and making carbonara...the flight was uneventful and I landed at precisely 7:11 - a sign of a great beginning! I arrived at my mom's to see all of my family there together for cookies a cocktails (what more do you need in life) - I couldn't have asked for a better homecoming.

With one day to organize and recover, it was back to the airport on Friday the 13th to go to St. Louis with my brother Stephen. Although it was a little plane, a couple of screwdrivers and some tasty gingerbread cookies (decorated to look like us) made for smooth flying.
 |
| my cookie doppelganger |
In St. Louise, we joined over 850 people for the NOAH conference - National Organization for people with Albinism. We had gone two years ago when it was in DC and so it was great to hear some familiar voices again, and meet some new friends. It's the only time I have been out with my brother where I actually had trouble finding him in the crowd - all those white peeps look the same! The best part of going to the conference is seeing all the kids - they are all so excited, to see their NOAH friends again, to meet other kids that look like them, to be in a place where they don't feel like they are 'different'. I think how great it would have been to be able to experience this as a kid and how much I want to tell them how beautiful and wonderful they all are!
 |
| under the arch |
We did manage to take a little time to do some St. Louis site seeing. We went to the Budweiser factory which was a very interesting historical complex and had free beer. The Riverboat tour was also interesting but since it was over 100 degrees outside it was a bit tough to walk around and enjoy the city or go up the arch.
 |
| boozy shake - yum!! |
We did have some great food in St. Louis:
Pappy's BBQ - great bbq even if they did run out of ribs
Sweetie Pie's - on the Oprah Network - great soul food even if we had to stand in line for over an hour (don't have the okra but do have the macaroni and cheese)
Rooster - amazing breakfast and crepes!
Bailey's Range - delicious burgers and a menu of boozy shakes!! One of the options - Makers Mark, candied bacon and salted caramel shake!!
By coincidence, my fabulously talented colleague and friend, Ron Kellum, was performing in Dreamgirls with Jennifer Holiday at the Muny in St. Louis. I was fortunate enough to get to see him perform and go to the after party with him and his equally talented partner Josh. What a great night! I really have to start going to more theater.
The next day I was to move on to Kansas City. The train seemed to take a lot longer than the bus and I have taken many city to city buses on the west and east coast and they were quite comfortable so taking the Greyhound seemed like a good idea at the time. I am sorry if I offend anyone but taking a Greyhound bus in middle America is a completely different experience. We had to wait over an hour in the bus depot (it's still in the 100's) waiting to board the bus. I had asked someone in line if I was in the right place and he looked at me with his cap turned sideways and said umm like I was speaking a different language. There was a young couple in line behind me with a one month old baby that the father carried like a football. The woman was quite chatty and talked about everything from her favorite automatic weapon (no joke) to visiting her uncle's house with all the bed bugs. At that point that I had made a tactical error - this was going to be a long bus ride. Once we finally got on the bus, the 'mom' continued to chat the whole way and pass her baby around to strangers. Of course the biggest smelliest guy on the bus sat behind me - I can't confirm but I am sure his name was Bubba. The bus was packed and stunk of BO, dirty diapers and weird Asian food (yes, the man beside was Asian and kept pulling fishy snacks out of bags the whole way). It was a five hour bus ride that felt like an eternity and all I could think about was the bed bugs!
 |
| Greyhound recovery sangria |
I arrived in Kansas City, walked out of the terminal and into a cab and told him to take me somewhere pretty and quiet where I could get a drink. He took me to the 'Plaza' - a quaint ritzy shopping area with fountains and cafes - normally would be a bit too shi shi for my taste, but at that moment it was perfect. I found a great little Italian bistro with a big bar, fabulous sangria and happy hour priced tasty carpaccio - life was good again.
I spent the rest of the week in Lawrence at my friend Ben's place. Lawrence is a college town about half an hour west of Kansas City with some great little shops, restaurants and bars. Sadly it was in the 100's still every day so too hot to wander around too much. I walked into town one day to meet Ben for lunch and thought I was going to pass out from heat exhaustion - it was only a mile away. Touring around in Ben's Lotus was fun, though tricky to get in and out of, especiallly in a skirt.
 |
| Ben and his house - thanks Ben! |
On July 20, I had a lovely breakfast with Ben and then flew to St. Louis (no way I was getting back on the bus). In St. Louis I had a deep tissue massage, (which was delightful even if the therapist let out a big fart halfway through), had a drink with Ron and then jumped on a plane back to Toronto. My dad met me in Toronto and we had a tasty dinnner. What a great travel day!
The morning after I returned from St. Louis, I left bright and early for the cottage for a weekend of swimming, eating, drinking and hanging with family - ahhh. I had work to do Monday but thanks to the world of technology, I was able to sit on the deck with my laptop and work from there - not a bad office.
After the cottage - back to Toronto...my mom had unpacked all my boxes that finally arrived (thanks mom!) so I was able to relax a little bit.
I went to see my old friend Beverly peform - friends since nursery school - in a cute little jazz club. She is an amazing singer so if you are ever in the Toronto area or want to support great jazz, you should check her out -
www.beverlytaft.com.
Then it was time to move on again - this time by train - I love taking the train, drinks and snacks and great scenery - so much more relaxing than planes or buses. My sister and I went to Ottawa. All of you people not from Canada - Ottawa is the capital of Canada - yes, that neighbor to your north, your biggest trading partner, the second largest country by land mass in the world - Canada - the capital being OTTAWA - learn it. There will be a test.
We spent the night with Tracey's old friend Denine (friends since they were wipper snappers). Great night with great food, sangria, an ice cream truck (haven't seen that in years), a very large zucchini and lots of puppies.
 |
| Now that's a zuch |
 |
| Oscar the energetic puppy - I am sure there is a Peruvian connection somwhere |
 |
| yay ice cream truck! |
After a morning stroll through the 'Market' and some tasty creole lunch (do I talk about food too much) - it was time to leave Ottawa
 |
| Denine's House |
Then on to St. Sauveur Quebec which is where I am currently enjoying a sangria - but I think that's enough for now - stay tuned for adventures en francais - a bientot!
3 Comments:
I'm so happy you'll be blogging about your adventures once again. It makes you seem not so far away. I will look forward to every new entry!
That was me, Beth.
Hey Patricia - whatever, I read your blog the last time you left. It gave me something to laugh and giggle about. I love Trisha stories. Looking forward to all your updates. Miss ya, T
Post a Comment
<< Home